PB Largemouth

PB Largemouth
Nice fatty Largemouth @ Hamilton Harbour in the fall.

Thursday 3 January 2013

Catch up post. Part 1

Sorry I haven't posted in 5 months.
Procrastination is a terrible affliction...lol.

Let's recap the summer of fishing.
Tournament results since my last post on July 1st.
Hamilton Bassmasters - Long Point Bay = 3rd with my boater/partner Rob Campbell.
Hamilton Bassmasters - Hamilton Harbour evening club event individual = 4th.
Hamilton Bassmasters - Binbrook Conservation evening club event individual = 4th
Hamilton Bassmasters - Hamilton Harbour Fall Brawl = 4th with my boater/partner Rob Campbell.
Niagara Bassmasters - Make-A-Child-Smile Open = 23rd ish with my boater/partner Stan Pilarczyk
Niagara Outdoor Open with Joe Kubina......let's say 4th from LAST but at least we got to see a 8.91 lb smallmouth at the weigh-in as part of a 29.71 lb bag.....almost worth the entry fee...almost.

Part of joining the Hamilton Bassmasters was to meet other people to go fishing with and find some new water that I either didn't know about or wasn't comfortable hitting with my little beater tinney.

I finally fished Chippawa Creek after driving over it 300 plus times i the past 9 years with Rob Campbell and Kirs Wiita from the club. Lots and lots of fish but no real monsters.

I managed to get out for a day on the Upper Niagara river on both sides of the dotted line with Joe Kubina.
Had a great day. Caught 40 plus fish and fished some water I had never taken my small tinney on.

Did some fun fishing with my long time friend Marc Visser who just picked a rod up this year.
We got invited to ride shotgun in Rob Campbell's boat on the Upper River and Erie one fall day.
It started off well with a near 6 lb smallmouth on the first drift 3 or 4 minutes in.


We did the mouth of the river drift and went out to Waverly Shoal for a bit.
Grand total of 45 fish in the boat with 2 triple headers on one drift.
An awesome day of fishing I won't soon forget.

Niagara Bassmasters "Make-A-Child_Smile" Open

Entered in to the open with  a buddy from Hamilton Bassmasters - Stan Pilarczyk


Beautiful view from blast off with the rumble and mist of Niagara Falls not too far away.
We had a tough early bit with a cold front for the morning in the main river but when we moved out in to the mouth at Lake Erie we quickly bagged a limit in the shallower, rocky areas were the sun had warmed the water up several degrees. No monsters to right home about and a 20 something place finish.

We did however clean house at the raffle table. Stainless Steel microwave, Craftsman gas leaf-blower, $170 rod/reel combo, tackle package, Fishbum gear.

Another great day of fishing and shooting the breeze with another great guy I met through the Hamilton Bassmasters club.

On to the single best fishing day I've had in the past 20 years.
Hamilton Bassmasters fall Hamilton Harbour joint event.

I fished with my good buddy Rob Campbell in his Stratos. We watched everybody blast off and head to the far reaches of the harbour while we puttered through the wakes to the second point just out side the boat launch channel.
I knew we could get a limit off of it in the wind. 
First pass was a bust and Rob looked at me like "dude, I thought you said this was THE spot?!?"

I adjusted the pattern and went right up on the rocks on the shore and slowly bounced my Strike King Sexy Shad 5 series off the rock and down the ledge between weed clumps....bam! 15 fish in less than an hour with a 4+ as the anchor for the bag.

We tried a few spots Rob had seen on Google maps and I managed a decent 3lbr off of LaSalle Parks break-wall.

We ended up with over 30+ largemouth for the day and a 14.62 lb bag for 4th but only 0.2 lbs out of second.
Twin 5.21 lb fish tied and split big fish for the day.


I'll stop here and do a second part to the catch up posting on the weekend.

Thanks for taking the time for to stop by and read of my ramblings.


No comments:

Post a Comment